Saturday 30 August 2014

Yellow Saturday




Spent the day looking around the Liverpool Biennial today with my parents. My favourite part was the 'A Needle Walks into a Haystack', it's an exhibition about our habits, our habitats, and the objects, images, relationships and activities that make up cycles and patterns in our lives which I found fascinating. I also loved the way that it was displayed, instead of being shown in a conventional gallery it can be found in the Old Blind School. The work that stood out to me particularly was that of Louise Hervé & Chloé Maillet- two amateur archaeologists and science-fiction enthusiasts. I was intrigued by the science fiction twist on their work which make is surrealist and interesting to me. My favourite piece of theirs from the exhibition was the video/film 'Un passage d'eau' in which the main characters question whether humans can become something else in order to regenerate themselves and no longer age. In in the film you learn that some marine creatures, such as lobsters, are immortal. The film revolves around the question of if in the future, instead of ageing man can do the same. It was really gripping and in places I found that the suspense built was unbearable! Really worth a visit if you're near to Liverpool and it's not too far from the Quarter which is a perfect place for lunch or coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment